SaskBarley is a producer-elected and directed commission that will ensure producers have the resources, leadership and provincial, national and international representation to strengthen Saskatchewan’s competitive advantage and to ensure producers’ and Saskatchewan’s interests are protected. The first elected Board of Directors took office January 13, 2014.
- Accountability to registered producers
- Building and sustaining collaborative relationships with other organizations that share common objectives
- Identifying and leveraging available resources
- Communicating best management practices for barley production
- Advocating on behalf of registered producers
- Maintaining and enhancing Canada’s brand for quality
- Demonstrating transparency and good governance
The levy collection became mandatory August 1, 2013, with the levy rate being $0.50 per net tonne. The levy is refundable upon request.
The annual report of SaskBarley is released after the Annual General Meeting of registered barley producers held in January each year.