The Saskatchewan Barley Development Commission (SaskBarley) is pleased to announce a call for Letters of Intent (LOI) for barley related research. SaskBarley was established in 2013 and is led by a producer-elected Board of Directors from across Saskatchewan. SaskBarley’s mission is to identify, develop and support research, market development, and extension initiatives that ensure the long-term profitability and sustainability of barley for Saskatchewan producers. Since its inception SaskBarley has made the support of research a key priority for their organization by allocating over 60% of their annual budget to research.
The primary goals of SaskBarley’s research program is to increase profitability of barley production for barley producers through:
- Yield gains and agronomic efficiencies
- Varietal uptake
- Enhanced desirable market quality characteristics and specifications
- Yield parity between malt and feed barley
- Best management practices
- Understanding end-user and consumer needs and aligning barley specifications with production outputs
- Value added opportunities for barley in feed, food, malt or industrial end uses
SaskBarley’s Board is pleased to announce the approval of $1M in funding to be directed to the research supported under this call. It will be considered an asset if a researcher articulates a plan to acquire additional matching funding from other source(s) outside of this call.
Upon approval from the researcher, the following barley research funders may also review the research proposals under this call: Canadian Barley Research Coalition, Alberta Barley Commission, Manitoba Crop Alliance, Brewing and Malting Barley Research Institute, Beef Cattle Research Council and the Western Grains Research Foundation.
- September 14, 2020: Call for Letter of Intent (LOI) Opens (LOI template)
- October 16, 2020: LOI is due
- December 1, 2020: Request for full proposal notification
- January 15, 2021: Full Proposals Due on or before March 1, 2021: Notification of funding to successful recipients
Thank you for your interest.